- Making learning new We will deliver to children the “new learning” that the times to come will demand, together with “new ways of learning” that make the most of data and technology. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- A life of continued learning We will transform society into one in which, even as adults, people can keep learning with enthusiasm for their entire lives. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Opportunities to learn for all We will offer accessible learning in response to all people’s desire to learn and create a future in which they can grow. See examples of activities【Japanese】
With its corporate philosophy “live well”, the Benesse Group sees its business as solving social problems, and is active in various areas such as education and nursing care.
Amid all the changes taking place in society, the Benesse Group discussed themes and fundamental ideas on the unique contribution we can make toward resolving social issues in 2030 and beyond, and applied them to five action policies in the form of a Sustainability Vision. (2019)
We examined concrete measures based on this vision (materiality) and decided on the following materiality.
In light of the coming social issues, we place importance on materiality which is the starting point of the Benesse Group’s mid- to long-term business, and which contributes to the realization of the “live well” society which our employees aim for.
During the discussion process, we sorted things out objectively, such as through dialog with our various stakeholders including external experts on various issues, different practitioners from the NPO sector etc., and trade partners who we carry out projects with.
- Allowing every individual to play their own leading role We will provide nursing care that respects every individual elderly person in what they want to do and the challenges they want to take. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Making nursing care a great job We will develop growth opportunities and pleasant working environments for the people who are involved in nursing care, increase society’s understanding of nursing care, and raise the quality of nursing care. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Toward nursing care of the future We will continue to take on the challenge of future nursing care that uses technology to improve QOL and provide deep support for each individual. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Community-based education and nursing care Through our education and nursing care businesses, we will conduct problem solving that suits the characteristics of each community. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Global education with the locals By joining hands with our local partners, we will deliver rich learning to the world, while reflecting local characteristics. See examples of activities【Japanese】
- Reinvigorating communities through art Through art and cultural activities, we will bring new energy to individual communities and create communities in which the locals can feel happy. See examples of activities【Japanese】
Process of formulating materiality
Based on the Benesse Group Sustainability Vision formulated in March 2019, we drew up the materiality of the Benesse Group after discussions among the management and all employees throughout fiscal 2019.
STEP 1：Identifying social issues
In the process of drawing up the Sustainability Vision, management on the Sustainability・ESG Committee deepened their understanding and discussion about changing social trends and social issues in 2030 and beyond, and revealed the most serious issues that surround the Benesse Group.
We also took up the opinions of Group employees by conducting in-house questionnaires, and sorted out which social issues involve the Benesse Group.
Gathering employees’ opinions through questionnaires
In our “Sustainability Study” online learning which about 3,000 Benesse Group employees took part in, we asked the question “What kind of society do you want to create by 2030?”
STEP 2：Concrete measures/prioritization for resolving social issues
Alongside the identification of social issues, Benesse has examined our company’s resources and strengths and how our business resolves issues, while also holding discussions with management, including leaders actually implementing projects.
When prioritizing, we have done so from the three perspectives of “principles (unique to Benesse”, “demand from society” and “importance of business”.
Concrete discussions including project leaders
Our main businesses of education and nursing care were discussed at each area’s management sessions from perspectives such as business resources. The order of preference was considered.
STEP 3: Creating materiality proposals
Based on the results of STEP 2, the Sustainability・ESG Committee organized and examined materiality drafts. They were presented in such a way that was compliant with our vision, easy to understand internally and externally, and would be a source of mid- to long-term business.
STEP 4：External evaluation of materiality proposals
To ensure the objectivity of our materiality proposals, we held dialogs with external experts in our main businesses of education and nursing care and also in ESG areas.
They checked whether academic endorsements and expectations for the Benesse Group were being reflected, and any indications of insufficient presentation were reflected in their disclosure.
Outline of dialog
- Internal participants
- Tamotsu Adachi, Sustainability Promotion Committee Chairperson and Representative Director and Chairman, CEO of Benesse Holdings; Hiroshi Nishimura, Sustainability Promotion Committee Secretariat Head and Executive Officer, and others
- External participants
- Experts in business fields (university researchers, etc.)
Practitioners in resolving social issues deeply related to our Group, such as NPO representatives
ESG/CSR experts, etc
STEP 5：Deciding materiality
In February 2020, the stakeholder dialog results and opinions were shared in the Sustainability・ESG Committee in which all full-time directors participate, and the materiality (key activity) in the Benesse Group’s sustainability was decided.