- Bringing learning to every part of people’s lives With “the joy of learning” as our starting point, we will extend learning of high quality, for all generations, to Japan, Asia, and the world. Materiality
- Toward a super-aging society Viewing the arrival of the super-aging society as “the 18th goal” following on from the 17 SDGs, we will be global pioneers in the delivery of nursing care services that provide support for all individuals. Materiality
- Passing our knowledge onto society We will communicate and share with society the experience and knowledge we have cultivated and cooperate with partners who practice “well-being” with us, to take on solutions to difficult issues. Materiality
- Co-creation of value with the community Together with the people living in those communities, we will create new value through education, culture, and art to realize a rich society. Materiality
Realizing a healthy society In addition to supporting daily life, we will take on the challenge of developing businesses in new domains that will be essential for future “well-being.”
Steps in development of Sustainability Vision
Once the decision had been taken to form the Sustainability Committee, consistency with factors including the following was investigated through the activities of the committee's participating members.
- 1. Reaffirmation of Benesse's corporate philosophy (“Benesse Group Corporate Philosophy”) underlying all discussions
- 2. Inputs of environmental forecasts by outside exerts (forecasts of business environments in education and nursing care fields, diversity of work styles and human resources, etc.)
- 3. Interviews with individual committee members (regarding Benesse's management philosophy and ethos, thinking on corporate activities, etc.)
- 4. Developments in the international community regarding sustainability (including the SDGs) and the company's own mid-term management plan
Based on the results of these investigations, the committee discussed possible ways and areas in which the Benesse Group could contribute to addressing social challenges in or after 2030. The results of discussions resulted in the formulation of five principles of action, which were integrated to produce the Benesse Group Sustainability Vision. Committee members discussing the vision.
Position on contribution to SDGs
Coinciding with the adoption of this Sustainability Vision, the Benesse Group also discussed approaches to contributing to the SDGs and core themes.
Based on the Sustainability Vision, the committee will consider the specific details of activities focusing on the following areas of action regarding which outside expectations are particularly high.
- Development of human resources to contribute to SDGs leveraging our strengths in the education field (4. Quality Education)
- Activities to share with society Japan's pioneering expertise in nursing care to prepare for the advent of a super-aged society